Australia’s Most Instagrammable Picnic Locations
We should take every opportunity we can to enjoy the simple pleasures of a picnic. Fresh air, the beauty of nature, delicious food and the company of family and friends are all tonics for the soul. We need that right now. Our words alone might not inspire you to pack a picnic, but a few Instagrammable picnic locations might! Check out these settings and get in the al fresco mood…
1. Hunter Valley Gardens: A picnic in wine country. It doesn’t sound any better than that, and the Hunter Valley Gardens provide a wonderful backdrop over 25 glorious acres. Formal gardens, a waterfall, an Italian Grotto, and plenty of places to explore on a pre-picnic stroll make this setting as fine as the local wines.
2. Barangaroo Reserve: In the heart of the city, but still such a beautiful place to relax. Barangaroo Reserve is the place to be for a laid-back vibe in our biggest metropolis. Your food will obviously be delicious but so too is that view, including the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge. As far as backdrops go, this one is world class!
3. Treasury Gardens: Melbourne, we feel for you. But when it is time for an outdoor reunion with loved ones, Treasury Gardens has to be the place to do it. This is a beloved location with green lawns, ornamental pond, statues and walking paths, where the mind will be distracted and soothed after recent events.
4. New Farm Park: Brisbane’s jewel on the river. That’s one way to describe New Farm Park, where huge trees and shaded spots provide cooling comfort during yet another hot Queensland day. The grassed areas, barbecues and views of the Brisbane River make this picnic hot spot a real favourite with locals.
5. Botanic Gardens: Adelaide is renowned for its gardens, but the Botanic Gardens reign supreme. 50 hectares of magnificently manicured gardens and wonderful architecture surround you as you unpack a picnic in what feels like a movie set. A five-star experience is guaranteed!
6. Commonwealth Park: Check out one of the beautiful walking trails before unfurling your picnic blanket by the lake. Canberra might be the nation’s capital, but Commonwealth Park will make you feel a million miles away from the hot air and bluster generated in Parliament House just down the road.
7. Kings Park: With more than 400 hectares of grounds and gardens, this is one of the loveliest spots in a very beautiful city. Warm weather brings out local picnickers who laze and snack on the lawn while taking in views of the Swan River, or they congregate beside the Botanic Garden to admire the seasonal flowers.
8. Friendly Beach: Located in the Freycinet National Park on Tasmania’s east coast, the immaculate shoreline of Friendly Beach is a welcoming site for a beach-side picnic.
You don’t have to be in any of these locations to enjoy the perfect picnic. We just hope they give you some inspiration to pack a hamper, and a picnic blanket, and enjoy a soul-soothing get-together in a lovely setting near you. And if you take any Instagrammable photos, we’d just love to see them!